Which one would you rather have? A video doorbell or a security camera? The answer may seem obvious, but it is actually much more complicated than that. Both of these devices serve the same purpose – to watch what happens in front of your house when you are away. However, they do this in very different ways and with very different features. Let’s take a look at how these two devices compare by looking at their pros and cons.
Table of Contents
What is a video doorbell?
A video doorbell is a device that you attach to your front door. When someone rings the bell, a video feed will appear on your smartphone – allowing you to see who is there and decide whether or not it’s worth going downstairs to answer the door. One of their biggest benefits is convenience: no one has to be home for this product to work properly because it captures video and sends it to your smartphone.
Video doorbells usually come with a few different features: night vision, motion sensors that detect movement outside of the house, two way communication (where you can talk through the device), and cloud storage so you don’t lose any footage in case someone vandalizes your front yard while you are away.
Pros and Cons of Video Doorbells
Although video doorbells are useful, they have their own pros and cons which.
– Video doorbells are a great way to see who’s at the front door without having to get up from your seat or open it.
– You can communicate with whoever is outside through the video screen on your smartphone, which means that you have complete control over what happens while nobody is home.
– Motion detectors are not always very accurate because they are built to detect large movements, which means that the video doorbell may start recording when there is no one around.
– It can be difficult to tell what’s happening outside if you have a limited range of motion in your front yard.
What is a security camera?
A security camera is usually attached to the outside of your house and captures footage from wherever it is pointing. This means that if someone vandalizes the front yard while you are away, you can see exactly what happened even if no one was home at the time. Security cameras don’t need an internet connection like video doorbells do, which means that you can use an old smartphone or even a separate device to record footage.
Security cameras usually come with very few features: night vision and the ability to look back through recorded footage. You may also be able to communicate directly through the camera if it has two way communication built in, but this is not always the case.
Pros and Cons of Security Cameras
Security cameras do their job well but they also have their own pros and cons.
– Security cameras capture footage from any direction so you can see who vandalized your property or took a package off your doorstep even if nobody is home to press the doorbell button.
– Motion detectors are far more accurate than motion sensors on video doorbells because they are built to detect small movements.
– They do not have a two way communication feature which means that you won’t be able to communicate through the camera if someone vandalizes your property or steals packages from outside while nobody is home.
Video doorbells and security cameras both serve their own purposes but they also come with their own pros and cons. If you are looking for a way to monitor visitors even when no one is home then video doorbells might be the right choice but they only work in certain areas of your house. On the other hand, security cameras will capture everything that happens outside your property while nobody is there. It’s all up to what matters to you most, convenience or security.
Video Doorbell Vs Security Camera
Which one you choose depends on your personal preferences and needs, but we can help you decide if a video doorbell or security camera is the right choice for you…
Before you pick any of these security devices it is necessary to check their features and purpose which we will discuss below:
– Video doorbells usually come with motion detectors, night vision and two-way communication. Some also have cloud storage so you can access any footage that is captured even when you cannot be at home to monitor the situation yourself.
– Security cameras don’t require an internet connection but they will need a separate device for video recording if your smartphone is not up to the task.
– A video doorbell will only work when someone presses your front doorbell, which means that it is a good choice for keeping an eye on visitors while you are home but less effective if no one is there to press the button. It also does not capture footage from all angles, so you are limited by the areas in your front yard that are within range.
– A security camera captures footage from any direction and it does not need to be monitored constantly because it will record everything on a separate device when there is no movement or noise around. It can also double as an extra layer of protection if someone vandalizes your property while you are away.
Which one should you buy?
If you are looking for a device that will let you see who is at the front door even when no one presses the button then definitely go with a video doorbell. If, on the other hand, your main concern is to keep an eye out for vandals and protect what’s yours while nobody is home then security cameras are probably your best option. It all comes down to what you value most, convenience or security.
Video doorbells are a great choice if you want the ability to monitor visitors even when no one is home and it can be done with a simple smartphone app that does not require an internet connection. If your main goal is to keep an eye on everything going on outside your house, you should consider security cameras instead.
Security cameras are more effective for protecting what’s yours even when no one is home because they will record everything that happens and it does not require constant supervision like video doorbells do.
Final thoughts on the matter
Video doorbells and security cameras serve their own purposes but they also come with their own pros and cons. If you are looking for a way to monitor visitors even when no one is home then video doorbells might be the right choice but they only work in certain areas of your house. On the other hand, security cameras will capture everything that happens outside your property while nobody is there. It’s all up to what matters to you most, convenience or security.